ZEISS Customer Service Positions Available
Contact Carl Zeiss for more information.
Ph: 1300 365 470
A Dispensing Optician is trained to dispense and fit spectacles, contact lenses and other optical aids, working from the prescriptions written by optometrists and ophthalmologists.
Dispensing Opticians advise patients on various types of lenses and spectacle frames, including advice on style, weight and colour. They also advise patients on how to wear and care for their spectacles and contact lenses.
The majority of dispensing opticians work in outlets for large, multiple-chain optician stores or for independent practices. The role requires extensive use of technical expertise and good customer service skills. Selling is also an important part of the job.
Typical work activities
Typical work activities may include:
· interpreting optical prescriptions written by optometrists or ophthalmologists;
· giving advice to patients on lens type, frames and styling;
· fitting contact lenses and giving advice on their care and use;
· taking frame and facial measurements to ensure correct fit and positioning;
· advising patients on the use of low vision aids;
· advising patients when adjustments or repairs to spectacles are needed;
· selecting, managing and ordering a range of optical products;
· ordering lenses from prescription houses;
· checking lenses on delivery to ensure that they meet the required specifications;
· arranging and maintaining shop displays;
How to Become A Dispensing Optician
TAFE is the place of learning for Dispensing Opticians in Victoria.
Optical Dispensing – Certificate IV (Traineeship)
Program Code - Title: C4207 - Certificate IV in Optical Dispensing
School of Life and Physical Sciences
Building 51, Level 4
80 Victoria Street, Carlton VIC 3053
Tel. +61 3 9925 4932
Fax: +61 3 9925 4144